I have a standing invitation for you to email me about anything that’s on your mind.
My email address is [email protected].
I love helping people, answering questions, discussing ideas, and looking at work you’ve done. Anything from blog posts to open source code to poems. I’d like to see it!
Emails I Like Getting
There are a few areas where I might be particularly useful for you, generally at the intersection of development, product design, and marketing.
- Your business, marketing, or tech strategy
- Mac, iOS, or Swift apps
- Kubernetes and Docker
- Building independent side-businesses
- Marketing tactics to grow your product
- Product design feedback (I’m more of a ”design is how it works” person than a pretty-buttons person.)
- Botanical gardens, plants, and parks
- Coffee and cooking
- Visiting Sydney? I have cafes to recommend. So. many. cafes. Also, let’s catch up for coffee. My shout.
- Books! I like getting book recommendations.
- Running, basketball, and the NBA
I have the unfortunate combination of a) being bad at email, and b) getting a reasonable amount of email. Let me set your expectations.
Will definitely get a response
- You send me a personally written email about something that clearly matters to you
- You send me a direct and interesting email about something that I am well-suited to answer
- You want me to look at something you’ve made
- You ask for feedback on an idea
- You need help finding a tech job
- You ask for a refund on a purchase. (It might be automated.)
Will sometimes get a response
- Vague or long-winded emails. Depends on busyness.
- You submit a bug report or piece of feedback
- You ask me to write some code for you
- You’re a recruiter (I’m not looking for work, but people who are looking tend to contact me, so I might introduce both of you.)
Will not get a response
- I’m clearly on some kind of list
- You’ve sent me a bulk email
- You’re asking me to participate in some survey (Github ”researchers”, I’m looking at you.)
- You ask me to vaguely fix something in my open source libraries
Important! If I don’t respond within a week, feel free to send a follow-up email. I probably just got busy on the day your email came through. If you follow up and ask me to reply, I’ll genuinely do my best to write you back.
Don’t Know How to Start?
If you feel like emailing me but don’t know how to start, here’s your opening line…
I'm sending you this email because of the standing invitation page on your website.
I need help with/I want your thoughts on/I'd like to share...
<Now you elaborate. Please include emoji>